Thursday, May 9, 2013

Closet Love- Part One

I've mentioned several times my recent closet organization project and have promised pictures.  Well, the moment you've waited for is finally here.  There is so much to say I've decided to make this a two-parter!  First, some background information: I am very very fortunate to have a double closet.  Off my bedroom is a large walk-in closet.  When you enter the closet you face another door leading to a second, larger, walk-in.  Trust me, I need all this space.  Several years ago my mother painted both closets a lovely bubble gum-pink with glossy navy blue trim.  They are truly beautiful.  Today we are only going to look at the first closet.  This closet holds my shirts, tank tops, sweaters, sweatshirts, jackets and many accessories.  When I reorganized recently I went through every single item, trying on many of them and deciding which to keep and which to get rid of.  I also reorganized some of the storage so that it was neater and more effective.  Here is the finished result:  

To the left, to the left, all the shirts on the rack to the left
All shirts both short and long-sleeved are hung on the left in rainbow color order and then by hue and sleeve length within each color.  Tank tops are hung in the same fashion separately on the end.  

Rainbow order
There is a small storage shelf above the shirts.  The boxes pictured hold Bucky's wardrobe and extra jewelry and I also keep my clutches and wallets here.  


Below the shirts are three wooden shelves each of which is divided into three storage cubes.  I used to have many shirts and pants folded and placed on the shelves but I felt it looked too untidy so I moved them all into baskets and boxes.  The baskets contain pajama tops, running shorts, workout tops, hats, sunglasses, small handbags and other miscellany.    

Kind of obsessed with how cute this looks and also functional!  
To the right hang my sweaters on the top rack and sweatshirts and jackets on the lower rack.  On the shelf above the sweaters I keep one of my Derby hats in a vintage hat box I got at a rummage sale and a metal basket that holds my bathing suits, neatly labeled of course.


Besides all of my clothes there is another thing in my closet that I love.  My mom has a stool that her dad, my grandpa, made for her when she was little with her name engraved on it.  I always loved this stool so when I was in high school my grandpa made one for me, exactly like it except with my name carved on it.  It means a lot to me.  I keep it in my closet so I see it and use it almost every day.  It's pictured below in front of the jackets but I will have to take a better picture so you can see how cool it is.  

Jackets and my stool 
I am very pleased with how the closet turned out.  There were no major changes but small tweaks that made it more effective and aesthetically pleasing.  Tomorrow; the second closet!  Try to contain your excitement.  What do you think?  How is your closet organized?  

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this in-person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it live up to your expectations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be following your advice when I move from a very big to a very small closet in August. Maybe I'll even paint it pink. To be like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the small closet BUT I'm very excited to hear you and SJ found a place! BTW I will be in DC Aug 5-7. Would love to see you (and your closet)! xo

    ReplyDelete