Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sticker Love

I have referenced my love for stickers numerous times but it bears repeating.  I love stickers!  I am like a five-year-old girl when it comes to stickers.  I want them all!  I'm sure that like most small children I enjoyed stickers but I didn't get really into them until middle school.  I do however recall that as a little girl my mom bought me the Aristocats sticker book.  Do you remember those?  They sold them at the grocery store and they were usually related to a movie.  Then the stickers with scenes from the movie were sold in packs and you tried to eventually get all of the scenes.  Anyways, I was so into the Aristocats (which is an amazing and under-appreciated Disney film and you should go see it immediately if you haven't) that I bought (or more accurately my mother bought for me as I had no income at that time) pack after pack of stickers.  Even then I was missing a few but my dear mother sent away for the missing ones so my book could be complete.  I think they messed up though and I am still missing one.  I have the book so I will have to check.  

Sticker book for "The Aristocats"
This is what the book is like.  It is really cool!  Do they still make these? 
Anyways, I digress.  I really got into collecting stickers in middle school.  I brought them to school in a folder and put them on my shirt or used them to decorate pictures or class assignments.  I went to kind of an odd school so this was acceptable.  Over the years I have assembled a very large collection of stickers including some that date back to middle school and I enjoy using them to decorate cards.  Rather than just stick them on at random I like to create elaborate scenes pertaining to the recipient's interests and personality.  Here is a card I did this weekend for darling Bojan's graduation:



Bojan studied abroad in Jordan and while there traveled to Egypt so I included a couple Egypt-themed stickers as well as other travel stickers.  The road on the top and left sides represents his journey through life and the different things he will encounter (I'm deep).  The front features stars because they are festive and then cats wearing hats for graduation.  And hearts because I love hearts.  I think decorating the envelope makes the gift just a little more special.  Plus I have an accordion file full of stickers, what else am I going to do with them?  Tonight for dinner my mom is making one of our favorite recipes for Fish Tacos.  They are healthy and delicious.  Tonight I need to wrap and sticker some more presents and cards respectively.  Do you like stickers?  Do you have an impressive collection?                         

2 comments:

  1. As a recipient of envelopes and signs with sticker art, I must note that I appreciate receiving such well-decorated pieces of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I appreciate the opportunity to use my more obscure stickers, for example, my Celtic symbols upon your return from Ireland.

    ReplyDelete